First Presbyterian Church’s mission ministry strives to help our congregation develop relationships through Jesus Christ with local, national and international mission partners working with such mission partners as The Neighborhood, CAReS, the Ashland Area Ministerial Alliance.
Ashland is a community that saw a need and with the help, both financial and physical, of many churches and organizations found a way to meet that need. Located in what was once a dairy on the corner of Central Ave. and 25th St. The Neighborhood is like a mini-mall of social services, housing:
- Ashland Community Kitchen (M-F: lunch 11:30-12:30, Tues and Wed: supper 4:30-5:30) provides hungry people with a hot, nutritious meal in a clean, safe environment. The kitchen also provides meals for the Ashland Meals-on-Wheels program.
- River Cities Harvest the distribution site supporting 29 agencies that feed the needy in Boyd and Greenup Counties in KY and Lawrence County in Ohio
- CAReS the information clearing house for area agencies and churches helping to minimize duplication of services
- The Dressing Room collects, cleans, and repairs clothing and miscellaneous household items then redistributes them at no cost to individuals and families in need.
- Clean Start a cooperative ministry of the local Presbyterian Churches. It provides emergency relief for those in need of personal care items, cleaning and laundry supplies not covered by food stamps. Individuals are also provided with shower facilities, hair-cuts, and mailboxes
Many members of First Presbyterian Church volunteer their time at one or more of these agencies.
Our congregation also hosts a Thanksgiving food Basket program and an Easter Basket of Blessings. Both provide families in need with all the fixings for a families holiday meal in addition to bread, peanut butter, milk and orange juice. The families are selected by local schools that know which families are most in need. At Easter the families are invited to come share a hot dog lunch with us. Lunch is followed by a time for the children to dye Easter eggs and decorate cookies. (Pictures of this years Easter Basket of Blessings are included in our photo gallery.)